

**PGSA Meeting
Funding Distribution
4 Nov 2011, 014A BSB, 1300– 1410**

Present: Charles Mander (Secretary), Cory Gerritsen (Advisor to co-chairs), Kristine Fitzgerald (Co-chair), Genevieve Vrana (Advisor to co-chairs), Wendy Zhao (Treasurer), Stephanie Fung (Secretary), Ashley Chung (Departmental Rep), Kaley Roosen (Advisor to co-chairs)

Co-chairs: Kristine, Cory

Minutes: Charles Mander

Agenda:

- 1) Distribution of funds - conference and dissertation support**
- 2) Workshops; Social events**

1) Distribution of funds - conference and dissertation support

Cory: The maximum for thesis/dissertation funding (printing, etc) is \$150

Genevieve: For conferences, we cover registration and materials (not travel) up to \$100.

The total amount we have to give out is \$1161.69.

[Requests are divided among all in attendance; write the lesser of total eligible or total request.]

[Confusion over whether we cover conferences where the requester did not present.]

Cory: We should check the PGSA website and confirm what it says.

Charles: Our site currently says we do cover “even if applicant did not present at the conference”

Wendy: I think it should be changed; it’s not fair to the others who had to go and present their work.

[Discussion – Consensus; we’ll fund for this year, but not for next and onward. Charles to contact Tim to change the site for next year.]

[Compose a master list of each claim rounded down to maximum eligible, when applicable - 22 requests total.]

[Take sum of master list: \$2135.16. Available amount covers 54.41% of this, so multiply each request by .5441. Then sum the result and confirm it matches amount available within several cents. Confirmed.]

Kristine: Now we go back to the request forms and write what we are able to award on

each.

[Discussion again about changing conference rules for non-presenters]

Cory: We should publicize the change well so there's no confusion.

Kaley: We'll put the cheques in envelopes and place in BSB mailboxes. Then we'll announce over the listserv that the distributions are available.

Wendy: When I send out the email, I'll notify about the rule change also.

2) Workshops; Social events

Kaley: Art workshop?

Kristine Sheila isn't available, but let's ask her about it.

Kaley: Maybe we should do it in December. Also, how about the procrastination workshop with Dr. Clarey?

Cory: People enjoyed that one.

Kaley: I'll email him, or Kristine can do it.

Kristine: I'll do it; when should we plan it for?

Kaley: End of Nov? We want to spread out the workshops.

Kaley: How about the politics of publication workshop?

Cory: We should stick to what's been successful in the past. For example, the postdocs workshop was attended mainly by a few postdocs.

Genevieve: Any other ideas?

Kristine: Our last few pub nights were well attended.

Genevieve: What about the holiday party?

Kristine: Dec 5th would be the faculty holiday party.

Cory: It used to be our party, but that's fine.

Kristine: It'll also celebrate Connie's retirement.

Kaley: Last year we left invites with candy... lots of leftover candy. Waste of paper; maybe make smaller?

Genevieve: Why don't we just put posters up?

Kaley: We could do a breakfast social. But the staff might benefit more if it's early. Brunch? 9am to 10:30 or so.

Kristine: Anything other business?

Kaley: OGF cheque? We have the form ready.

[Wendy writes out cheques; logs them in ledger]

Kristine: I can submit OGF stuff if it's ready.

Genevieve: Bank statements need to be photocopied.

Kristine: Do we usually just do one pub night in the Fall?

Cory: It changes every year. This year it seems like there's more demand. We could have another one before holiday.

Kaley: We could do something at the grad lounge; provide nachos and drinks if there are funds.

Meeting adjourned, 1410